Critical Support for Accessing Education, Services and Wider Horizons
Parents and guardians of children (birth through 21) who reside in Denver or whose child attends a Denver Public School are eligible for support from our Child and Family Advocates. English and bilingual (Spanish) advocates work with the families of children who are identified as having a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
Why Families Engage With Our Advocates
- They struggle to understand school/district evaluation procedures, the timeline for completing evaluations and determining whether the child has a disability as defined by IDEA or Section 504.
- They need help in getting services, accommodations or modifications defined in the child’s Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP), Individualized Education Program (IEP) or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
- They want their child to be educated in the least restrictive environment, with access to academic and non-academic extracurricular activities.
- They need an advocate to guide and represent them in school disciplinary issues (in-school suspension, out-of-school suspension, and expulsion). Our advocates work with parents to develop a positive Behavior Intervention Plan and conduct a Manifestation Determination.
- They want a better way to access related services such as assistive technology, nursing or counseling (school psychologist or social worker).
- They face juvenile justice issues and don’t know how to work within court systems that are unfamiliar with individuals with disabilities.
These are a few common scenarios, but you may have unique challenges all your own.
Scholarships and Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities
The scholarship directory AffordableColleges.com has a directory of scholarships and financial aid opportunities available only to students with disabilities. Go there if you are seeking resources for making higher education a reality!
AffordableColleges.com is an independent organization and is not affiliated in any way with AdvocacyDenver.
Questions about child and family advocacy?
Fill out the form below to get in touch or call our referral and intake hotline at 303.974.2530.